Church Of St Nicholas
Churches in Brighton, East Sussex
This church is committed to St Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors and fishermen. Until 1873, St Nicholas was the Parish Church of Brighton and it still is the Mother Church and the only church in central Brighton of ancient interest. The earliest known reference to a church in Brighthelmstone, the old name forBrighton, comes from William the Conqueror's great census, the Domesday Book, written about 1085. This states that there was a church, valued at - 12, which had been assessed as worth - 10 in the reign of the Saxon King Edward.